Author Topic: Gunbuster's 30th Annoversary  (Read 830 times)

Offline bwbScram

• Officers
  • Can't into math
  • Internets: 3
    • bwbScram
    • View Profile
Gunbuster's 30th Annoversary
« on: 2018-10-10 05:18:12 »
Thread is just about what it says on the label. Top Wo Nerae! Gunbuster, an OVA by Gainax and the directorial debut of Hideaki Anno, debuted its first episode on October 7, 1988. Feel free to talk about it, post cool images, etc...

[ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Gunbuster? Moar liek Nutbuster, amirite? This isn't even half of the delicious fanservice that episode 1 contains. For real though; if I was handing out medals for bwbScram's waifu competition, I'm pretty sure Noriko would get the silver.
« Last Edit: 2018-10-10 05:25:35 by bwbScram »

Offline bwbScram

• Officers
  • Can't into math
    • bwbScram
    • View Profile
Re: Gunbuster's 30th Annoversary
« Reply #1 on: 2018-10-10 05:37:08 »
If by some chance you haven't seen Gunbuster, the video below does a pretty good job of saying why you should fix that. DemoImisssyousomuchplzcomeback

As for getting around and actually watching it, I don't believe that any of the streaming sites have Gunbuster. Physical copies are very hard to get ahold of as well. You should know what to do...
« Last Edit: 2018-10-10 08:15:11 by bwbScram »

Offline tormaid

• 翻訳家
  • Administrator
  • Dances naked in MMOs for virtual money
  • Internets: 4
  • Unlimited Backlog Works
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #2 on: 2018-10-11 13:14:09 »
I can hear the eyecatch "Gunbusterrrrr," even now...

Offline bwbScram

• Officers
  • Can't into math
    • bwbScram
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2018-10-14 04:13:13 »
Top Wo Nerae! is named in reference to two titles, namely Top Gun and Ace wo Nerae!, more commonly known as Aim for the Ace!. We're more concerned about the latter piece in this case.

You wouldn't be too far off if you said that Aim for the Ace! is basically the same thing as Gunbuster, except without super robots, the Gainax bounce, aliens, and
(click to show/hide)

Below this are the first two episodes. I know, it's
>old anime
and not nearly up to the technicality seen in contemporary shows. The art and animation is still really important for a number of reasons that I'll likely be talking about in a meeting soon. Also, do take note of some of the characters and how they are similar to those in Gunbuster. Oka is clearly a predecessor to Noriko, Ochoufujin is essentially Kuzumi (aka "Onee-sama"), and Kyoko stands in for both Reiko and Jung Freud (the "rival" characters to Noriko). Kyoko also shares the name of a certain German pilot's mother.
(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: 2018-10-14 04:16:35 by bwbScram »