CAINE Forums

Author Topic: Webcomics  (Read 1106 times)

Offline BronyTails

• Drunk
  • Power level: 22
  • Internets: 1
    • View Profile
Webcomics Update
« Reply #15 on: 2016-04-19 12:51:04 »
Damn, when I meant soon, I guess I really meant it. Okay then. On to the next update, then.

This next one requires a bit of background context. Years ago, Namco had a Videogame franchise by the name "Klonoa." For those of you who've heard of it, good for you, we're friends now. If not, worry not. Klonoa is a series about a cat-bunny-hybrid....thing, I don't fucking know, but that's not important. Klonoa is known as the Dream Traveller, someone gifted with the power to wander between the waking world and the world of dreams. He wields the powerful Wind Ring, an artifact that, when given a suitable power supply, can shoot wind bullets to inflate and/or capture enemies. It may not seem like much, but it's quite handy. Anyway, the series has a decent handful of games that came out, as well as its own manga, but the two main games of the series were "Klonoa: Door to Phantomile" (PS1, later remade for the Wii and renamed simply "Klonoa") and " Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil." Now the series was thought to have died out after the second game, leaving the protagonist to a fate of subtle cameos in "Namco x Capcom" and the "Tales of" series....and then the Wii's remake came out, only to kill the series even more....smdh.

OR DID IT............That's right, turns out that there was a Webcomic for the series that picks up some time after the second game. Back in September of 2012 the first page of "Klonoa: The Dream Traveller of Noctis Sol" was posted online, the story headed and written by Jim Zub of Udon Entertainment. It was Namco-Bandai's last attempt to keep the character alive, but it didn't last long. After probably a year or so, the comic was left on a cliffhanger, although it is likely never to continue. Only 65 pages long, it makes for a quick read.

Alright, I guess this is the point where I give a brief synopsis of the comic. Well, the series is already dead, so I'm not gonna regret butchering the plot. Here we go......The comic begins with our hero recapping his past feats and adventures before going to sleep. As soon as he closes his eyes, he's immediately thrown right into the fray as his is old homeworks of Phantomile is being attacked by evil minions. Shit hits the fan when the bad guy in charge, Tenebrae Hue shoots a rocket at the 'Night Sun' (because why not), thus releasing all of its Dream Energy. The story is a little odd, but it picks up pretty well as it goes on. The only drawback to the series is that none of the supporting characters get any sort of depth or quick background, thus expecting the reader to already know who the characters are from the series.

Despite my issues with the Webcomic, I still found it worth reading because of my attachment to the series as a kid. You can find the link below, see what you think.

http://klonoa.the-comic.org/comics/first/

As always, if you ever read down this far into the post, then you have a greater attention span than I would probably give you credit for. Kudos to you. Anyway, I'm gonna look into the manga for this series and see if it's any better. Just sit tight and the update will be around at some point. Until then........c'ya.
Be warned of the evil you will face if you dare to cross into my domain!

Offline BronyTails

• Drunk
    • View Profile
Webcomics Update
« Reply #16 on: 2016-04-24 12:43:38 »
Hello again, everyp- everybody. Time for another update. The bad news is that I can't really find an official website for this Webcomic, so I'm missing some key background info on it to share here. Therefore, the post is gonna be shorter than I wanted. So without further ado......

Today's webcomic is called "Stutterhug," by Samantha Davies, an artist from the United Kingdom. I gotta say that it's kinda hard to go about describing it clearly in one shot. The series is a silent comic: the story tells itself without the show of dialogue between characters. Also, it's a 'slice of life' comic, but not in the usual way. Each page visits a different set of characters from the previous one, some pages introducing new characters onlyhave a one-shot story while others actually revisit older characters. However the latter case is not seen that often throughout the series. What intrigues me the most about this is that it gives the Davies the chance to draw all sorts of characters and things. I don't usually come across this as much in other comics, especially in a 'slice of life' one at that. Usually the artthat have a set cast that they stick to, adding in one or two new members to the cast as it goes on. Stuttering, on the other hand, feels like you're watching a series of shorts in which there neither exists a main, support, nor background character for the sake of plot. It's actually pretty cool when you think about it....

Now I must warn you if you've read this far: this webcomic can and will take you on a feels-trip. For example, some pages tell stories of: a Dragon teaching its child how to breathe fire, the spirit of a wolf guiding her tired, lost pups back home one last time before fading away (T^T), losing a friend (to hibernation, but still), and a sad troll. But trust me "Stutterhug" isn't all about mushy stuff, there's humor in the pages as well. I won't spoil anything else, but the link will be below for you to explore on your own time. In fact, there will be 2 links to the comic (the artist posts it on Tumblr and Taptastic, in case you have a preference).

http://stutterhug.tumblr.com <------For reading the comic and checking out more art by Davies
https://www.tapastic.com/series/Stutterhug <-----For just reading the comic

And with that, I bid you all adieu. Keep an eye out for the next update.

Offline BronyTails

• Drunk
    • View Profile
Webcomics Update (Last One this Semester)
« Reply #17 on: 2016-05-03 17:10:39 »
Hey everyone. Welcome to what is the last update this semester. Given the circumstances, (running out of comicss to discuss), this may very well be my last post on this thread for a while. If I find anything new to talk about, I'll be happy to post it here. Other than that, readers are still free to contribute.

So, (despite all reluctance of talking about this comic) in honor of this being my last post this semester, I'm going to talk about the very first Webcomic I've ever read. It was this series that sparked 2 defining moments for me. The first being that I discovered what webcomic's were. The second was that, when I first read it, I finally understood what furries were, and a combination of my introverted personality and societal peer pressure and standards led me to question/deny my identity as one at first. I finally accepted it later on down the line, so that's that.

If you read my summary or even the comic itself, you might realize why I was reluctant about this one. So, let's get right to it then.

"Las Lindas" is a series about a farm that's run by a cow (and for some reason that still doesn't sound right when I say it). The comic was started in September of 2004 by Gonzalo "Chalo" Reyes, and it has been going strong to this day. I actually have been on and off in reading it because of time and obligations, so there's a lot of catching up to do from where I last left off. The series has gone on weekly, practically uninterrupted, and has a handful of characters. There are various side-stories to the comic, consisting of: origin stories, outside life, character introduction, comedic arcs, non-canon "what-if" stories, canon filler arcs, etc.

So the series starts out being centered around Mora Linda, a young calf who inherited her family's farm after her mother's passing. At the time, the farm was run down, had no employees, and was struggling to make ends meet, not to mention that an old-friend-turned-enemy of Mora's was scheming to run the farm out of business. However, with an amazing stroke of luck, Mora managed to scrounge up a rag-tag group of farmhands to keep Las Lindas up and running, good as new. And by rag-tag, I really mean it: one competent worker who became the eye-candy for all the girls, a pair of orphans, a college dropout, an old family friend, an old stalker and his 2 pixie companions, a country girl, a young motherly-type girl with parental issues, and a technological ghost composed of millions of nanobots. Somehow or another the farm's staff survived getting things back in line, and more impressively have survived each other, resulting in them becoming more of a family to each other now. It may seem nice and sublte there, but things get awkward up to a certain point.

Another reason I fell out of it......I learned that the creator got a little frisky with the comic and it started to show more and more as the series went on. At this point, the story has branched out into the everyday happenings of the main cast, but some characters have some unpleasant arcs. If you venture into those parts, don't say I didn't warn you. As always you can find the link below, give it a shot if you dare.

http://laslindas.katbox.net/comic/day-one/

I gotta say that I'm glad to have done this and contribute in my own way. I appreciate everyone who has been following the thread as well as those of you who contributed. This was a fun little thing to do this semester and I hope to come back to it at some point. Thanks guys. This is Tails, signing off.

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
  • Hundreds of fifties of pounds
  • Power level: 161
  • Internets: 4
  • Unlimited Backlog Works
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
Re: Webcomics
« Reply #18 on: 2016-09-20 23:26:03 »
I'm posting the powerpoint Tails worked so hard on for last week's presentation here, so anyone who is interested in reading it can do so.

Offline 13thMuse

• Rocks out at Cook Out
  • Power level: 77
  • Internets: 7
  • Everybody loves me on the Internet!
    • 13thMuse
    • Graceling13
    • View Profile
    • My translation blog
« Reply #19 on: 2017-02-06 01:43:12 »
This might be different from the other webcomics on here, but lately "Check, Please!" has been pretty popular in my corner of the internet. It's about college hockey players, some of which are Canadian, and some of which are gay. The MC is a tiny effeminate boy from Georgia and it kind of warms my heart to see him getting to stretch his wings a bit in a more forgiving environment. It's not really a "yaoi" comic though (no tropes or NSFW). You can read it here: http://omgcheckplease.tumblr.com/

Offline The Swordinator

• Power level: 7
  • I am a strong proponent of the Flat-Earth theory.
    • TheSwordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2017-02-09 19:10:00 »
Here's a web comic I've been following for a few years. The Order of the Stick.
It's a stick figure comic based in a DnD setting. It starts out as mostly a platform to make jokes about DnD but then turns into a awesome story with a stellar cast of characters.