CAINE Forums

Author Topic: The Mobile Games Thread  (Read 82 times)

Offline 13thMuse

• Rocks out at Cook Out
  • Power level: 74
  • Internets: 7
  • Everybody loves me on the Internet!
    • 13thMuse
    • Graceling13
    • View Profile
    • My translation blog
The Mobile Games Thread
« on: 2017-05-14 01:29:52 »
Because I'm mobile game trash and I know some of you are too, I thought I'd make a thread where we can all talk, exchange user IDs, make recommendations, brag about our gacha pulls, etc. We can also talk about the future of mobile gaming, whether RPGs and VisNovs should port to mobile, if mobile will ever be a real platform or if it's doomed to Candy Crush-level inanity forever, etc. I'll make an #effort post with all my games and user IDs later, but I wanted to get the topic started and see who else is interested ^^

P.S. For the record, I actually bought an Nvidia Shield tablet and 120 gig micro SD for playing mobile games (also for lightweight word processing, but w/e) because I spend that much time on them... ^^; It runs very smoothly and the graphics are beautiful compared to my tiny iPhone. Despite this, I'm not a whale! If you spend money on a game even once, it's all over... At least, that's my experience.

Offline sarawr

• Power level: 17
  • Internets: 6
  • Whoosh
    • View Profile
Re: The Mobile Games Thread
« Reply #1 on: 2017-05-14 12:46:26 »
-SCREAMS VIOLENTLY-

ALL PAD USERS COME TO ME

LET ME FRIEND YOU

PUZZLE AND DRAGONS IS GREAT BUAHAHAHAHAHHAA I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO THE TRADITIONAL MATCH-3 LIFE

I'm also on Otogi: Secret Spirit Agents! In-game name is currently "Soulstone life ;_;" (sans quotation marks)

-sits and watches thread eagerly-

Offline XT-8147

• anime sucks now guys
  • Administrator
  • Getting on up there
  • Power level: 40
  • Internets: 3
  • Resident Chrono Trigger fanatic
    • XT-8147
    • XT-8147
    • @XT8147
    • View Profile
    • Blag
« Reply #2 on: 2017-05-14 17:21:59 »
There's a game called Another Eden that looks interesting, but isn't available outside of Japan yet (short of shenanigans to access the Japanese Google Play).  It's relevant to my interests because a couple of of the staff members also worked on Chrono Trigger (which has a pretty bad always-online touchscreen-controls-only mobile port itself) and it borrows a lot of story elements, mechanics, and graphical theming from Chrono Trigger. (see relevant posts from /r/chronotrigger)

Mostly, though, the stuff I play on my phone only extends to short-session puzzle games (and Pixel Dungeon).  I recently beat 2048 (in the original 4x4 grid, I'm aware there are versions with larger grids), and am close to the achievements for playing the daily Flow Free/Flow Free: Bridges/Flow Free: Hexes puzzles for every day for a year, having already finished all the free puzzles and deciding not to spend my money on the paid puzzles.

Uninstalled Miitomo recently, it's just not fun.  Answering the same questions over and over gets kind of boring, and they only add outfit pieces that I'm actually interested in on a very infrequent basis.

As for the viability of mobile phones and tablets as a gaming platform, I won't say it can't work, but I will say that it's definitely not suited to some genres.  In general, though, I'd prefer to have a device that's designed specifically for gaming (or, for computers, built with gaming in mind) to one whose primary purpose is something else and just has gaming shoehorned in.

In that regard, I do feel like touchscreens are very well suited for puzzle games, and this is why there's a lot of them on mobile platforms.  Being a fan of puzzle games, I can't really complain.
MAGFest, possibly still at the Gaylord in National Harbor, MD! Attendance was capped, so maybe it's moving? i dunno lol

Offline sarawr

• Power level: 17
  • Internets: 6
  • Whoosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-05-17 17:38:46 »
Yeah, I love doing puzzles on mobile devices. Kinda awkward doing them on a computer with a mouse or--Haruhi forbid--a touchpad, and my finger doesn't slide over my touchscreen laptop's screen as easily as it does on my phone. Doing puzzle games "directly" with my finger feels so much more natural than doing puzzle games with a device such that I'm sorta "indirectly" doing the puzzle "physically" if that makes sense...

One of my favorite puzzle games a few years ago was Azkend (iOS). Beat it and then stopped playing. Maybe I should pick it up again; I remember thinking the music was pretty awesome. Azkend is in the match-3 category but IIRC it's closer to PAD than Bejeweled, except unlike both PAD and Bejeweled, it's one of those games where your matches are preexisting and you drag your finger over them instead of having to make matches by shifting stuff with your finger.

I LOVE FLOW FREE OMG I should pick that up again.