CAINE Forums

Author Topic: Spring 2017 Anime Season - Discussion Thread  (Read 174 times)

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
  • Hundreds of fifties of pounds
  • Power level: 160
  • Internets: 4
  • Unlimited Backlog Works
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
Spring 2017 Anime Season - Discussion Thread
« on: 2017-04-05 20:54:06 »
New season, new anime. What are you watching?

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: 2017-05-01 13:03:48 by tormaid »

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
  • Hundreds of fifties of pounds
  • Power level: 160
  • Internets: 4
  • Unlimited Backlog Works
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
Re: Spring 2017 Anime Season - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: 2017-05-01 12:53:33 »
OK, I think I've settled on my final lineup. I know we're already 1/3 of the way into the season, but there's actually quite a few things I wanted to check out:

Watching:
  • Sagrada Reset: Really great mystery/drama. Has many of the things I liked about Haruhi and Hyouka. Highly recommend, but give it two episodes.
  • Shingeki no Kyoujin: This season is an improvement in every way to the first. This is the series I'm most excited to watch as soon as it comes out.
  • Re:Creators: TRYOCA is at it again. I am optimistic, though, that this will not turn out to be another Aldnoah.Zero. Also, it's down right sinful that we get two Sawano soundtracks in one season.
  • Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka?: A solid fantasy/action LN adaptation so far. The characters are what keep me coming back. That title, though...
  • Sakura Quest: A workplace show set in a rural town by the creators of Shiro-bako. Sign me up!
  • Alice to Zouroku: A cute fantasy drama about a powerful magical girl who's taken in by a grumpy old man.
  • Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho: A solid, if unoriginal fantasy adventure. The way the witch and the mercenary get along reminds me a little of Spice and Wolf. Only a little, though.
  • Eromanga-sensei: Straight up, undiluted trash. Probably AOTY.
  • Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records: The season's token magical battle series. The teacher is what keeps me coming back.
  • Little Witch Academia: Obviously continuing this masterpiece.

Plan to Watch:
  • Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata ♭ : I'm getting though the first season and loving it, so this is an obvious pick up.
  • Uchouten Kazoku 2: I need to finish the first season, but when I do, I'm definitely going to pick this up.
  • Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Gaiden: Sword Oratoria: Again, once I finish the damn first season... Knowing Inori Minase plays Hestia is my motivation.

Dropped:
  • Atom: The Beginning: Didn't hold my interest.
  • Fukumenkei Noise: Way too cringe for my tastes. I like shoujo, but this series is all tropes and no substance.
  • Granblue Fantasy The Animation: This show reminded me why I don't play JRPGs...
  • Renai Boukun: Too tropy and not nearly as funny as people made it out to be.
  • Hinako Note: So boring I'm surprised I made it though one episode.
« Last Edit: 2017-05-05 22:39:44 by tormaid »

Offline ginsan

• Power level: 7
  • Internets: 1
  • チーズむしパンになりたい。
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-05-01 13:58:42 »
I'm watching:
Boku no hero academia 2: kids learning to become superheroes.
shingeki no kyojin s2: If you liked the first season, you would like this one too.
saekano: Second season of saekano.
eromanga sensei: Oreimo S3.
Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka?: Leprechauns vs monsters
Danmachi: Danmachi s1 from the perspective of Ais.
Renai Boukun: An angel with a Kiss Note, which creates couples, becomes involved with the MC and his yandere classmate.
Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism: A school where delinquents are sent to be corrected by girls with swords.
Alice to Zouroku: Little girls with supernatural powers and an old man who hates crooked things.
Tsugumomo: Boy whose late mother's obi is actually a tsukumogami. Heroine voiced by Satania from Gabriel Dropout
Sakura Quest: Girl becomes Queen of a micronation.
Sagrada Reset: high school students with special abilities.
ReCreators: Fictional characters from anime, manga and games appear in modern day Japan.
Little Bitch Academia: Little witches and their adventures. Sucy best girl.

Offline Frankevangelion

• President
  • Officers
  • Power level: 16
  • Internets: 1
  • Pashupata!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-05-01 20:36:54 »
Watching:

• Boku no Hero Academia S2: As the future Shonen Jump flagship, S1 apparently didn't do too well in terms of viewings
  • Sagrada Reset: First episode was poor in my opinion, but the second episode definitely made the series more intriguing. I plan to continue watching for now, but the show seems to need more pizzazz. Character designs are somewhat forgettable, and usually that's made up for by either characterization or setting (neither of which are dominant in the series so far)
  • Berserk 2017: At this point, I'm just happy there's an anime at all, really.
  • Ero-manga Sensei: Read the manga. Just a time killer for now.
  • Little Witch Academia (TV): Damn, Akko's just...How can someone be so...HNNNGHH
  • Re:Creators: Is that a Fate reference?
  • Saekano S2: A tumultuous storm brews, but I shall stand resolute on the HMS Eriri
  • Rokudenashi Majustsu Koushi to Akashic Records: Main character wants to be a hero of justice but is forced to come to terms with reality. Wait, is that a Fate ref--

Plan to Watch (maybe):

• Kemono Friends: D-dare I?
  • Sakura Quest

Don't plan to touch:

• Shingeki no Kyojin S2: Yeah, no.

Offline 13thMuse

• Rocks out at Cook Out
  • Power level: 74
  • Internets: 7
  • Everybody loves me on the Internet!
    • 13thMuse
    • Graceling13
    • View Profile
    • My translation blog
« Reply #4 on: 2017-05-02 21:21:24 »
Currently watching:

Sakura Quest: I was pretty hype for this. It gets more srs than I expected, but ultimately still a feel-good show I think. (TL note: I'm so sad they went with the Japanese "UMA" and missed out on actually using the word "cryptozoology" in a professional capacity.)
Re:Creators: I wasn't sure where they were going with this, but it seems to have a lot of potential. I hope they keep taking it to the next level. (Also def. getting the soundtrack)
Alice to Zouroku: pretty surreal in a Madoka witches kind of way, but also kind of charmingly down-to-earth at times. The guy who plays Zouroku also played Rider in Fate/Zero and a bunch of other A+ roles.
Shingeki no Kyoujin S2: so I initially really disliked Shingeki because it was 2 grimdark 5 me, but I ended up watching S1 and now S2 with my brother and it's better than I anticipated (though I still think it's overhyped. >.>) S2 definitely seems to have better pacing than S1.

To watch:
Sagrada Reset (looks really good but I'm having a hard time finding a place to watch it)
Little Witch Academia (obviously)

Not watching:
Eromanga Sensei (just the memes)
Uchoten Kazoku (dropped the first season cause I couldn't figure out what was going on...)