CAINE Forums

Author Topic: The Crunchyroll Bitrate Saga Explained  (Read 71 times)

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
  • Hundreds of fifties of pounds
  • Power level: 160
  • Internets: 4
  • Unlimited Backlog Works
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
The Crunchyroll Bitrate Saga Explained
« on: 2017-03-20 10:42:13 »
So, since this pertains to anime and the club, and since not everybody here uses Facebook, I thought I'd share this article I wrote that at the very least has a decent summary of events surrounding the whole Crunchyroll bitrate debacle. Would love to hear people's thoughts on this: do you watch a lot of streaming video? How much does image quality matter to you?

http://encodan.info/posts/an-appeal-to-crunchyroll

Offline 13thMuse

• Rocks out at Cook Out
  • Power level: 74
  • Internets: 7
  • Everybody loves me on the Internet!
    • 13thMuse
    • Graceling13
    • View Profile
    • My translation blog
Re: The Crunchyroll Bitrate Saga Explained
« Reply #1 on: 2017-03-23 01:06:42 »
I don't watch Crunchyroll's streams that avidly anymore, especially not for old titles (I had a glitch where CR's ads wouldn't load right but also wouldn't let me reload or even exit fullscreen mode so I'd have to restart my laptop 1-3 times per episode; aah, that #relatable rural internet feel) but I do watch releases on airing shows so I understand why people would be upset about this as it would directly effect me too. Also, just saying, I'm pretty sure sites like KissAnime use Horriblesubs' rip of Crunchyroll releases, so it would effect a wide range of viewers...

That said, I'm not really wading into the thick of the argument either. I'm glad they seem to be addressing it, and hopeful that they'll at least return the quality to around where it used to be, and I'm leaving it at that for now.