Author Topic: Gateway Anime Discussion  (Read 197 times)

Offline tormaid

• President
  • Officers
  • Can't into math
  • Power level: 132
  • Internets: 3
  • Unlimited Backlog Works
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
Gateway Anime Discussion
« on: 2017-02-02 21:31:27 »
Continuing the discussion from club on what got you into anime: what shows got you into anime? Where did you watch it? A lot of people seemed to start with Toonami, but I think that's becoming less and less common. Besides just getting you into anime as a whole, was there a show that got you into the so-called anime mainstream (e.g. Haruhi)?

Offline XT-8147

• anime sucks now guys
  • Administrator
  • Getting on up there
  • Power level: 38
  • Resident Chrono Trigger fanatic
    • XT-8147
    • XT-8147
    • @XT8147
    • View Profile
    • Blag
Re: Gateway Anime Discussion
« Reply #1 on: 2017-02-02 23:13:20 »
For me it wasn't so much one show as it was a progression of things. Toonami shows like DragonBall Z and Gundam Wing were the beginning, but then they got other stuff like Tenchi Muyo and Outlaw Star. I eventually discovered that fansubs and new anime were a thing. I don't really remember how it progressed from there, but it was a random mishmash of word of mouth series discovery and burned CDs and barely functional codec packs. Eventually the whole thing got organized with these charts of new anime for each season, which were often hilariously inaccurate but still generally useful.
MAGFest, possibly still at the Gaylord in National Harbor, MD! Attendance was capped, so maybe it's moving? i dunno lol

Offline tormaid

• President
  • Officers
  • Can't into math
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #2 on: 2017-02-03 12:43:36 »
I was genuinely surprised at how many people, even some of the first-years, first saw anime on TV. I guess my perception is skewed, though, because I never had cable growing up.

Offline The Swordinator

• Power level: 7
  • Internets: 1
  • I am a strong proponent of the Flat-Earth theory.
    • TheSwordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-02-03 19:42:43 »
I'll post my story since nobody heard it in club (noisy fuckers).

So, back in like 2008 a friend of mine referred me to Caramelldansen. I searched for it on You Tube and found a version of it over the Hare Hare Yukai dance (the ending to the first season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya). I then searched for "whatever this is from" and watched Haruhi... on You Tube 'cause, you know... 2008.

So, yeah my first ever anime was Haruhi and it remains my favorite to this day!
« Last Edit: 2017-02-03 21:47:27 by tormaid »

Offline tormaid

• President
  • Officers
  • Can't into math
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #4 on: 2017-02-03 21:47:56 »
So, back in like 2008 a friend of mine referred me to Caramelldansen. I searched for it on You Tube and found a version of it over the Hare Hare Yukai dance (the ending to the first season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya). I then searched for "whatever this is from" and watched Haruhi... on You Tube 'cause, you know... 2008.

To think that "memes" was an avenue into anime for more than one person... Never change, CAINE. Never change.

Offline bwbScram

• Officers
  • Getting on up there
  • Power level: 65
    • bwbScram
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2017-02-04 02:48:21 »
For me it wasn't so much one show as it was a progression of things. Toonami shows like DragonBall Z and Gundam Wing were the beginning, but then they got other stuff like Tenchi Muyo and Outlaw Star. I eventually discovered that fansubs and new anime were a thing.

Pretty much this for me as well. Other noteworthy channels that broadcasted anime during the 90s / 00s included Syfy (Ani-Monday was a direct competitor with Adult Swim) and TechTV/G4 (Anime Unleashed). Those two had some pretty interesting titles being aired, such as Crest/Banner of the Stars, Boogiepop Phantom, Serial Experiments Lain, Akira, and some of Leiji Matsumoto's work.

My first year watching currently airing anime was 2003, when I first had a personal computer. It was just a matter of searching around before stumbling upon stuff like Newgrounds and Usenet. That pretty much solidified anime as a "hobby" of mine.

Oh yeah, here's a downright ancient newsgroup post about anime I drudged up a while back. Wanna guess where "greentexting" started?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: 2017-02-04 02:52:49 by bwbScram »

Offline bwbScram

• Officers
  • Getting on up there
    • bwbScram
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2017-02-04 03:49:41 »
Getting back to one of the original aspects of this question: We were examining if there are any particular traits to those series that serve as a "gateway" into anime. I'm not sure if anything can be drawn from the Toonami era, aside from the fact that a lot of those series were of the action/adventure/mecha genres. At the very least, they are crowd pleasers. I would assume that nobody would have watched if there was just slice of life.

What is more interesting (and more applicable), is finding out what traits are common in a lot of the gateway shows in the age of Crunchyroll. One theory that we tossed around a bit some time ago was that having the trappings of something more Western might have a certain appeal. Take a look at Shingeki no Kyoujin, a show that is often seen as a Full Metal Alchemist for the 2010s. There really isn't much there that is explicitly Japanese. You could also argue that this was the case for Cowboy Bebop in the late 90s as well.

This is why something like Haruhi is so important to consider. Actually I'm going to take that right back; we might want to make sure that Haruhi is actually a gateway show, instead of something that people already familiar with the medium watched, enjoyed, and decided to use as an otaku label. Same thing with Jojo and OPM.

Upon mulling this over, I personally know more people who are familiar with Death Note than anything else mentioned in this post. It predominantly takes place in Japan, but there isn't much in the way of "culture shock". Might also be worth noting that this was also the same time Code Geass took off. Both of those were concerned with moral ambiguity and shades of gray rather than simple good guy vs. bad guy plot.
« Last Edit: 2017-02-04 03:54:54 by bwbScram »

Offline tormaid

• President
  • Officers
  • Can't into math
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #7 on: 2017-02-04 15:02:22 »
Upon mulling this over, I personally know more people who are familiar with Death Note than anything else mentioned in this post. It predominantly takes place in Japan, but there isn't much in the way of "culture shock". Might also be worth noting that this was also the same time Code Geass took off. Both of those were concerned with moral ambiguity and shades of gray rather than simple good guy vs. bad guy plot.

I think there's something to the Death Note thing. It's currently sitting at the top of the most-watched list on MAL, and I bet pretty much every public library in America has at least half of the manga.

Offline bwbScram

• Officers
  • Getting on up there
    • bwbScram
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2017-02-06 01:37:37 »
Going in yet another direction now...

This conversation first sprung from the fact that we might need to update some of the IP and characters featured on recruiting materials in order to attract incoming students. Of these resources, I have identified 2 distinct types...

• Stuff that attracts people who are more casual in the hobby. You're gonna hear about how much they like Kill la Kill, One Punch Man, Shingeki, and so on. Just find something popular from recent seasons, or something whose popularity has eclipsed the anime subculture (Pokemon, DBZ, etc...), and you should be good to go.
  • Stuff that appeals more to someone already watching anime on a frequent basis (i.e. people who still go to BakaBT, nyaa, etc...). For a while, this was Haruhi. I'm pretty sure that's no longer the case. It did start airing over ten years ago now.

What we need to do is find more recent stuff that belongs to the second category. I'd like to see if Little Witch Academia can become such a title. If anyone can think of others, please do list them.
« Last Edit: 2017-02-06 01:46:56 by bwbScram »

Offline tormaid

• President
  • Officers
  • Can't into math
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #9 on: 2017-02-06 12:12:41 »
What we need to do is find more recent stuff that belongs to the second category. I'd like to see if Little Witch Academia can become such a title. If anyone can think of others, please do list them.

Some shows like this off the top of my head:
  • Anohana
  • Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
  • Monogatari Series
  • Steins;Gate (Maybe this is mainstream now?)
  • Nichijou (?)
  • Natsume Yuujinchou
  • SPORTS ANIME
  • Fate/ Stuff (?)

These are all popular, but less mainstream than stuff like Shingeki and OPM.

Offline 13thMuse

• Getting on up there
  • Power level: 64
  • Internets: 6
  • Everybody loves me on the Internet!
    • 13thMuse
    • Graceling13
    • View Profile
    • My translation blog
« Reply #10 on: 2017-02-07 03:43:12 »
My story is weird because I started reading manga first (my friend would no shut up about it) and then watched the anime of those titles. This was during the golden age of Clamp, Fruits Basket, Kuroshitsuji, etc. so you know the kind of shoujo stuff that was around. Of course there was also Sailor Moon back in the '90's.

I love Little Witch Academia, but I never see anything about it in my corners of the internet. Ones I do see:

Yuri on Ice
Mob Psycho 100
Haikyuu
Kuroko no Basuke
Boku no Hero Academia
Voltron (if that counts)

This would be the jousei-muki type of stuff (and fujoshi bait) but they are a significant audience and I'd like to see more girls at CAINE too. These are all the really recent titles, but I can do a little digging and see what else I find. Among the people I know IRL at UVA who aren't in CAINE, there was a lot of excitement for Kuroko no Basuke (again), Ano Hana, and Ao Haru Ride as it was coming out.

I also sometimes see Akagami no Shirayuki Hime, Noragami, Tokyo Ghoul, Nisekoi, etc. I have a hard time knowing what's actually popular and what's only popular among my acquaintances, but I figured I can at least offer a different perspective.
« Last Edit: 2017-02-07 04:35:26 by 13thMuse »

Offline sarawr

• Bad luck
  • Power level: 13
  • Internets: 6
  • Whoosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2017-02-09 20:55:10 »
My story is probably very singular, but maybe there's something general you can pull from it.

In 2009, when I was still in elementary school, there was this forum I was very active on, and one of the moderators was a huge Gundam fan. So in our Random Chatter forum (or maybe it was her personal staff get-to-know-me thread), she would keep posting the word Gundam. GUNDAM GUNDAM GUNDAM

I don't recall seeing anything specific (mobile suit names, character names, show names, era names, etc) attached to the word Gundam, but maybe that's because all I saw was GUNDAM GUNDAM GUNDAM

That summer (or maybe it was the summer of 2010, not sure, but I definitely started seeing GUNDAM GUNDAM GUNDAM in 2009), I finally looked up "Gundam" and somehow first arrived at the Wikipedia page for Gundam SEED. I've always been a huge spoilers person (I actively go out of my way to find spoilers, and I often don't watch anything unless I've already found spoilers), so I read up on it and I was like "oh so this is an anime thing like what my friends like" (my besties were already in the world of anime/manga and often chatted about them in our group chat; their conversations were hilarious to me, so I never minded that I had no idea what they were talking about lol)

and then I read the detailed plot/synopsis and OOH I WANNA WATCH

I'm... now pretty sure I didn't watch it legally lol I just found a site where I could watch all of Gundam SEED (and then SEED Destiny because OMG SEQUEL) for free.

Yes, that was my first anime! and I'm still a major fan of GS/GSD :P

I've always been a casual anime person since I watched GS/GSD but that's what got me into the anime world and what made me one of those people who knows what anime is :P

(Also, TV? what's that lol the only stuff on TV I've ever watched regularly: the Olympics, Nick Jr., PBS Kids

and money? what's that? lol before college the only money I ever got was money for field trips to buy souvenirs xD)
« Last Edit: 2017-02-09 20:59:34 by sarawr »