CAINE Forums

Author Topic: Winter 2017 Anime Season - Discussion Thread  (Read 371 times)

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
  • Hundreds of fifties of pounds
  • Power level: 172
  • Internets: 4
  • Unlimited Backlog Works
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
Winter 2017 Anime Season - Discussion Thread
« on: 2017-01-06 12:12:53 »
It's that time again... I'm not done with half of what I started last season, but anime waits for no one.

Offline Sakamoto

• Power level: 5
  • Internets: 1
  • I forgot to put something here.
    • View Profile
Re: Winter 2017 Anime Season - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: 2017-01-15 21:55:48 »
Well, so far, it looks like there are some quality comedy shows coming out this season. As far as shows in other genres are concerned, things look a bit more...sparse, but that's just my opinion. Here are my thoughts so far on some shows which have piqued my interest:

Akiba'S Trip--Was looking forward to this, thought it was going to be like Genshiken. Then I found out it is largely a (bad, not like Keijo!!!!!!!!) fan service show, so probably not going to follow it much.

Saga of Tanya the Evil: The premise of this show is a bit far out even for me. It might be entertaining to juxtapose it with Izetta though.  I'm undecided on whether I will watch this one.

Konosuba 2: it seems we made a mistake when we praised the derpy animation of the first season as a boost to the comedic value; Studio Deen has interpreted those sentiments as license to not put any effort whatsoever into the animation this time around. All joking aside, even with the drop in animation quality, the show continues to be funny and I will be watching it.

Scum's Wish: It's not everyday that a show is centered around an entirely novel type of depraved romantic/sexual relationship. After skimming much of the manga, and the first episode, I think I will skip this deeply unsettling series, at least for the time being.

Little Witch Academia: Should be real good, I need to catch up on the OVAs though.

Interviews With Monster Girls: A cute, and interesting Monster Girl Show. Seems like a much more grounded and realistic take on the genre than, say, Monster Musume. I will be watching this.

And now, my two favorites so far:

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: After seeing the trailer I went and read through most of the manga, and found it very humorous, as well as emotionally touching in some areas. The first episode of the anime carries these attributes over well, and I will definitely be watching this show.
Also, I unfortunately must report that the characters do not rap the entire time, as much as it would be hilarious.

Gabriel Dropout: I completely agree with a commenter who described this show as a "PG version of Panty and Stocking." The slovenly/sadistic angels and idiot/kind demons should provide comedy gold over the course of this season of the first episode is anything to go by.

Well, those are my thoughts so far, any other opinions or other good shows people plan on watching this season?

« Last Edit: 2017-01-15 21:58:01 by Sakamoto »

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #2 on: 2017-01-30 18:55:18 »
OK, I'm finally doing this for real. This season, I am watching (in no particular order):

• Little Witch Academia - Best show of the season. Harry potter meets anime. Sucy best girl.
  • Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon - Cuter than it is funny, but it is very cute.
  • Gabriel DropOut - Pure comedic gold.
  • Konosuba S2 - Possibly even funnier than Gabriel DropOut. This show just gets me.
  • Demi-chan wa Kataritai - Super cute monster girl show. This truly is the season of monster girls.
  • Masamune-kun no Revenge - A pretty standard romcom with a tsundere main girl.
  • ChäoS;Child - Garbage. I guess I feel responsible for finishing it though, since I somehow sat though all of Chaos;Head...
  • Seiren - Easily the worst show of the season. I'm watching it because I watched all of Amagami and YOLO.
  • Kuzu no Honkai - An edgy teen drama that is just an embarrassment to itself. Watching it because I myself am kuzu.

I still need to try Akiba's Trip, because I spent a lot of time in Akiba recently and think it would be fun to see what I recognize. I also suppose I'll try Youjo Senki, because that girl's face is priceless. Will probably also watch the second season of Ao no Exorcist because I saw the first and liked it.

I'm continuing, but behind on, 3-gatsu no Lion and Iron Blooded Orphans 2nd Season.
« Last Edit: 2017-01-31 00:56:12 by tormaid »

Offline bwbScram

• Officers
  • Rocks out at Cook Out
  • Power level: 94
  • Internets: 3
    • bwbScram
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-02-04 04:02:20 »
    No real opinions yet unless there is something listed aside from the title

• Gintama
    • Chaos;Child (I hate myself)
    • Gabriel DropOut
    • Little Witch Academia (gg, Trigger)
    • Youjo Senki (might be my favorite this season)
    • IBO S2 (meh)

Offline avartarlion

• Treasurer
  • Officers
  • Power level: 2
  • Internets: 1
  • I forgot to put something here.
    • Sensei Zhang
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2017-03-05 17:06:45 »
Given that now most of the winter anime has released a fair amount of episodes. I just wanted to share some thoughts on the ones I have been keeping up with and what I have heard about other shows so far.

1. Konosuba Season 2

Konosuba continues to keep the same comedic tone that brought many people to enjoy the show during its first season, having lost none of its entertainment value. The most notable thing, as many may have noticed, is the drop in animation quality. While it is certainly not terrible, it is very noticeable and was quite evident near the end of its first season as well. The cast still continues to do a great job voicing the characters and truly expressing the dreaded emotions on some of their faces sometimes, which I find to be hilarious. Overall, you should watch Konosuba as it is a great source of memes and gifs and just brings out the troll inside you.

2. Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon

Since it is a KyoAni project, I had good hopes about the show and was certainly not disappointed. If the beautiful animation doesn't bring you to watch the show at first, I hope the many clips posted from the show attract you to it. The theme of the show is by no way unique, as you have a being introduced to your world who knows nothing about it, but with Tohru and the rest of the cast partaking in various shenanigans, you can't help but chuckle and smile when watching the show. For me, the show has somewhat of a moe vibe which I enjoy and would definitely encourage others to watch this season.

3. Youjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil

Now, not to be biased or anything, but this is probably my favorite show for this season. It has several elements which remind me of Code Geass in that the main protagonist, Tanya, displays qualities more suited towards a villain. She is not only evil, as the title implies, but intelligent and skilled which makes her all the more overpowered in a sense. The action scenes are well executed and I enjoy how it includes post credit/ ending song scenes as well, similar to Marvel movies. While some people may not initially watch it due to Tanya being a salaryman reborn as a little girl, which is included in the summary, I think people should give it a shot and at least watch three episodes before deciding for themselves whether to continue or not.

4. Demi-chan wa Kataritai

I would classify this as one of the "cutesy" anime. Most of the story takes place in a school setting albeit with the addition of demis. While it may not be a heavy binge worthy show, it is something that you can sit down and watch several episodes of as it does calm your mind. I enjoy the voice actors who play the characters as I have read the manga material for this before the show's anime adaptation and think their voice actors do a superb job in making the characters even more vivid than the manga. Also credits to A-1 Pictures as the animation is quite neat as well and is a step up from the manga in my opinion as the manga artists' style was similar to ERASED's manga where the art was kind of rough but the anime made it much smoother and cleaner when bringing it onto the small screen.

5. Kuzu no Honkai

While I have not caught up with this show, I have heard many things about it. Some say that it has a really interesting story but I for one was not attracted to it personally due to my dislike of anything that is NTR related. Otherwise, I have heard many mixed feelings from people who have watched the show saying that so far it has had its ups and downs with regard to the main storyline and pacing but that overall, it was not a bad show if you can get past the fact that there will be NTR.

6. Masamune-kun no Revenge

Having came to the anime after reading the manga material for this show as well, I must say that the anime has kept me interested much more. Solely reading the manga has led me to see that the show has a very predictable story path that it will follow and personally, I wasn't ready to deal with the large amount of bs that would follow it after having just recently finished reading Nisekoi only a few months prior. I would recommend watching the show though as I think people will have a better time enjoying the pace the anime takes it at as I could not handle the manga and its similarities to Nisekoi/ many other predictable romcom stories.

7. Gabriel Dropout

While certainly not the biggest hit this season, Gabriel Dropout is certainly not bad. It's tone is similar to Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon with the two sharing many common themes but the overall basis for the show is slightly not as interesting as Maid Dragon's. This is definitely one that I watch later after having seen the weekly episodes of the shows I listed above and this is made more to be watched in snippets than a large amount.

While I have a few thoughts on some of the rest from this season, since I have not caught up / started them, I will refrain from commenting on any bias especially since I haven't seen them and believe all shows should get a chance initially, even if it is one episode, so that is it for this sort of mid season glance at some of the shows I have been keeping up with.

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #5 on: 2017-03-23 16:28:35 »
3. Youjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil

Now, not to be biased or anything, but this is probably my favorite show for this season. It has several elements which remind me of Code Geass in that the main protagonist, Tanya, displays qualities more suited towards a villain. She is not only evil, as the title implies, but intelligent and skilled which makes her all the more overpowered in a sense. The action scenes are well executed and I enjoy how it includes post credit/ ending song scenes as well, similar to Marvel movies. While some people may not initially watch it due to Tanya being a salaryman reborn as a little girl, which is included in the summary, I think people should give it a shot and at least watch three episodes before deciding for themselves whether to continue or not.

I'm just going to hop on the Youjo Senki bandwagon myself and say it's quite enjoyable, and you're absolutely right that people should give it a few episodes before deciding if they're going to continue. While the first episode had a lot of action, it wasn't nearly as compelling as the second.

Offline 13thMuse

• Rocks out at Cook Out
  • Power level: 77
  • Internets: 7
  • Everybody loves me on the Internet!
    • 13thMuse
    • Graceling13
    • View Profile
    • My translation blog
« Reply #6 on: 2017-04-03 03:04:03 »
I've had a hard time keeping up with things, so I just stuck to a couple of shows this season.

Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon: I was really iffy about it at first, but this is probably the show I've enjoyed the most. It's really heartwarming and funny by turns, and it makes me happy to see that they actually don't play their romance off for laughs (much). I am kind of troubled by the whole Lucoa situation (child harassment isn't that funny??) and the weird sexualization of Kanna's friendship with her classmate, but I've kind of put that on the "cultural differences" shelf for now.

Gabriel DropOut: the most #relatable thing I've seen in a long time. (If anything would make you completely lose your faith in humanity, it's playing a healer in an MMO >_>) To me some of the comedy scenes fall just on the wrong side of obnoxious (or maybe I just relate too hard to Vigne's daily struggle to keep her friends in line) but there are plenty of genuinely funny and feel-good moments as well.

I might go back and watch more from this season later, but for now I'm happy with skimming the cream off the top lol. I'll leave you with this thought: the voice of Yasuraoka Hanabi (main girl) from Kuzu no Honkai is actor Anzai Chika, who also played everyone's Best Girl (tm) Merry in Grimgar and also Reina from Hibike! Euphonium.