CAINE Forums

Author Topic: Misspent Youth Vol.1 (2016/2017) - Submissions  (Read 379 times)

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
  • Hundreds of fifties of pounds
  • Power level: 172
  • Internets: 4
  • Unlimited Backlog Works
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
Misspent Youth Vol.1 (2016/2017) - Submissions
« on: 2016-12-13 14:05:09 »
This thread is for submitting entries for our club doujin publication, Misspent Youth. This will be a re-boot of an older publication by the same name, so we are reseting the numbering from zero (heh), meaning that this will be Volume 1, and will cover the 2016/2017 school year.

This publication will cover a wide range of different types of fan-created works. Bellow is a list of those categories, as well as the specific technical requirements in each relating to your submission(s). Please read them carefully before submitting your entry. Submit your entry using the button bellow, which will link you to Google Drive. If you have any questions, that is what this thread is for.

All Submissions:
  • Must have the naming schema: Your Name - Title of Parodied Work (Type of Submission) [e.g. Leo Murphy - Hyouka Chapter One (Translation)]
  • Must include a .txt file labeled with your name containing: your name, your year at UVa, a short bio (<200 characters), and (optional) a link to your work online
  • There is no limit on the number of submissions, but we will not necessarily publish all of them (you will be consulted before the fact)
  • Collaborations are A-OK--just be sure to credit all parties involved where applicable
  • All submissions must be SFW!

Character Artwork:
This refers to any single piece of artwork centered on an existing or original character or characters. These can be drawn using any medium, so long as they are sufficiently high-resolution, or large (see guidelines bellow). If you submit an original character, consider including some information in the attached .txt file about them, and be sure to label your submission with "OC."
  • Must be in a lossless format (.PNG, .TIFF, .PSD) and in 16 bits-per-channel if digital, or the original piece (no photocopies) if you would prefer we scan it for you
  • Images must be >3000 pixels on their longest edge if digital, and >7" if they are hand-drawn--more/bigger is always better
  • You will have the opportunity to proof colors before printing

Comics:
This refers to both short 3-4 panel works as well as multi-page entries. Again, these can be drawn using any medium, so long as they conform to the same image-submission guidelines above.
  • Muti-page comics can be no longer than 12 pages
  • Two-page spreads are OK
  • You will have the opportunity to proof colors/contrast before printing

Fanfiction and Writing:
This refers to both parody writing about an existing work, or original short-stories.
  • Submissions must be in either the .doc or .docx formats
  • Submissions may be no longer than 5000 words
  • Basic proofreading will be done to all submissions

Reviews and Articles:
This refers to written reviews of anime, manga, etc., more serious academic articles on topics relating to these forms of media, and journalistic pieces like covering an event such as an anime convention. The same writing guidelines above apply here. In addition:
  • Submissions must be under 2500 words
  • Academic articles must use MLA citations--this does not apply to reviews, though!
  • You may include graphs, charts, photographs and even screenshots if they support your writing

Translations:
This refers to translations of songs, interviews with Japanese creators, and literature. Only works for which no officially-licensed translation exists are acceptable. Manga translations will not be printed. All translations are being published under the premise of fair use for educational purposes. As such, the following guidelines must be followed:
  • Translations must be accompanied by a proper MLA citation of the original text, as well as a short essay (>250 words) by the translator on the process of translating that work
  • The maximum length of a submission is 2500 words--this includes your essay and citation
  • We reserve the right to reject any submission based on copyright concerns--the best way to avoid this is to speak to one of us before committing to a project

All of these guidelines are just a way to keep submissions organized. They are not all written in stone, so talk to one of us before giving up on an idea based on them. I can't wait to see what you all submit!

UPLOAD
« Last Edit: 2016-12-13 18:48:10 by tormaid »

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
Re: Misspent Youth Vol.1 (2016/2017) - Submissions
« Reply #1 on: 2017-01-04 17:41:10 »
I'd like to add that it is perfectly acceptable to request that your name not be published. I would still like you to submit stuff using it so I can get in touch with you if I need to, though.

Offline 13thMuse

• Rocks out at Cook Out
  • Power level: 77
  • Internets: 7
  • Everybody loves me on the Internet!
    • 13thMuse
    • Graceling13
    • View Profile
    • My translation blog
« Reply #2 on: 2017-02-22 21:03:16 »
You: submit!
CAINE members: never! >:|

Seriously though, I wish I had a better idea of what to do for this. I could take pictures of someone's cosplay if they wanted to submit that? I could ramble or do a guide on Japanese culture stuff? I could do a critical review of some anime or other? Do some kind of song/short story translation? The main things I can't really do are the traditional doujin things, like fan art and short fan fiction. Maybe everyone else is thinking the same thing?

I'd also like to offer my services as an editor, because I do that semi-professionally and as a favor to friends, and I'm generally pretty decent at it.

Edit: post #50 woo!

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #3 on: 2017-02-24 15:06:03 »
Seriously though, I wish I had a better idea of what to do for this. I could take pictures of someone's cosplay if they wanted to submit that? I could ramble or do a guide on Japanese culture stuff? I could do a critical review of some anime or other? Do some kind of song/short story translation? The main things I can't really do are the traditional doujin things, like fan art and short fan fiction. Maybe everyone else is thinking the same thing?

Yeah, I really want to emphasize that there are so many possible options for submission. If you can think of something that's not on the list above, ask! Chances are it's totally OK! I really like the cosplay photo idea, for example.

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #4 on: 2017-03-05 15:57:52 »
I have elected to create a sign-up sheet for submissions in order to gauge interest. The deadline for submissions is the end of spring break, Sunday 3/12 at midnight. In order to submit something to Misspent Youth, you must sign up. If, however, you sign up and are unable to finish your submission, there is no penalty, so you'd be well served by signing up now, even if you are still on the fence about submitting. What I want is just a general feel for how people are coming along with stuff.

As always, feel free to ask any questions here or email me. Sign-up link is bellow:

Sign-up
« Last Edit: 2017-03-05 16:03:23 by tormaid »

Offline Yuu-no-hu

• Power level: 1
  • Internets: 1
  • Anime was a mistake
    • Pretty_little_bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2017-03-06 18:02:00 »
Ok, I'll go ahead and sign up for a slot; we'll see what I actually come up with later lmao. 

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #6 on: 2017-03-23 16:18:27 »
Proposal for layout:

• Cover
  • Character Art (Single Drawings)
  • Reviews and Articles
  • Comics
  • Writing and Translation
  • Signature Page(s) (Yearbook Style)
  • Back Cover

We ought to have at least one submission in each of these categories, but another option is scattering the individual drawings and art around to add visual interest between the longer writing pieces. What do you all think?

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #7 on: 2017-06-13 19:01:39 »
Submissions are closed. I am currently compiling what I did get and we will be releasing an electronic version this summer, with printed copies available for the activity fair this fall. A big thanks to everyone who submitted stuff!