This thread is for submitting entries for our club doujin
publication, Misspent Youth
. This will be a re-boot of an older publication by the same name, so we are reseting the numbering from zero (heh), meaning that this will be Volume 1, and will cover the 2016/2017 school year.
This publication will cover a wide range of different types of fan-created works. Bellow is a list of those categories, as well as the specific technical requirements in each relating to your submission(s). Please read them carefully before submitting your entry. Submit your entry using the button bellow, which will link you to Google Drive
. If you have any questions, that is what this thread is for. All Submissions:
- Must have the naming schema: Your Name - Title of Parodied Work (Type of Submission) [e.g. Leo Murphy - Hyouka Chapter One (Translation)]
- Must include a .txt file labeled with your name containing: your name, your year at UVa, a short bio (<200 characters), and (optional) a link to your work online
- There is no limit on the number of submissions, but we will not necessarily publish all of them (you will be consulted before the fact)
- Collaborations are A-OK--just be sure to credit all parties involved where applicable
- All submissions must be SFW!
This refers to any single piece of artwork centered on an existing or original character or characters. These can be drawn using any medium, so long as they are sufficiently high-resolution, or large (see guidelines bellow). If you submit an original character, consider including some information in the attached .txt file about them, and be sure to label your submission with "OC."
- Must be in a lossless format (.PNG, .TIFF, .PSD) and in 16 bits-per-channel if digital, or the original piece (no photocopies) if you would prefer we scan it for you
- Images must be >3000 pixels on their longest edge if digital, and >7" if they are hand-drawn--more/bigger is always better
- You will have the opportunity to proof colors before printing
This refers to both short 3-4 panel works as well as multi-page entries. Again, these can be drawn using any medium, so long as they conform to the same image-submission guidelines above.
Fanfiction and Writing:
- Muti-page comics can be no longer than 12 pages
- Two-page spreads are OK
- You will have the opportunity to proof colors/contrast before printing
This refers to both parody writing about an existing work, or original short-stories.
Reviews and Articles:
- Submissions must be in either the .doc or .docx formats
- Submissions may be no longer than 5000 words
- Basic proofreading will be done to all submissions
This refers to written reviews of anime, manga, etc., more serious academic articles on topics relating to these forms of media, and journalistic pieces like covering an event such as an anime convention. The same writing guidelines above apply here. In addition:
- Submissions must be under 2500 words
- Academic articles must use MLA citations--this does not apply to reviews, though!
- You may include graphs, charts, photographs and even screenshots if they support your writing
This refers to translations of songs, interviews with Japanese creators, and literature. Only works for which no officially-licensed translation exists are acceptable. Manga translations will not be printed. All translations are being published under the premise of fair use for educational purposes. As such, the following guidelines must be followed:
- Translations must be accompanied by a proper MLA citation of the original text, as well as a short essay (>250 words) by the translator on the process of translating that work
- The maximum length of a submission is 2500 words--this includes your essay and citation
- We reserve the right to reject any submission based on copyright concerns--the best way to avoid this is to speak to one of us before committing to a project
All of these guidelines are just a way to keep submissions organized. They are not all written in stone, so talk to one of us before giving up on an idea based on them. I can't wait to see what you all submit!