Author Topic: Fall 2016 Anime Season - Discussion Thread  (Read 178 times)

Offline tormaid

• President
  • Officers
  • Can't into math
  • Power level: 132
  • Internets: 3
  • Unlimited Backlog Works
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
Fall 2016 Anime Season - Discussion Thread
« on: 2016-10-15 21:32:31 »
Same rules apply as usual: no plot spoilers beyond what's in the first episode without using the spoiler tag.

e.g.
(click to show/hide)

Offline 13thMuse

• Getting on up there
  • Power level: 64
  • Internets: 6
  • Everybody loves me on the Internet!
    • 13thMuse
    • Graceling13
    • View Profile
    • My translation blog
Re: Fall 2016 Anime Season - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: 2016-10-25 03:11:37 »
I haven't been keeping up very well, but I have a few impressions so far:

Gi(a)rlish number: funny and sassy, plus that girl's facial expressions are gold.

Hibike Euphonium: I'M SO HYPE

Shuumatsu no Izetta: interesting historical fantasy with two(!) really involved female characters. Just hoping the princess doesn't fade into the background like in Aldnoah Zero.

3-gatsu no Lion, www. working, and Fune wo Amu: plan to watch

Yuri on Ice: it's yaoi on ice, and the internet is SO HYPE. Also the skating is actually good.

Keijo!!!!: 0/10 dropped. My entire body hurts just watching them.

I'll update this when I've actually seen more shows.

Offline iRTimmy

• Power level: 3
  • Internets: 1
  • I forgot to put something here.
    • iRTimmy
    • iRTimmy
    • View Profile
Re: Fall 2016 Anime Season - Discussion Thread
« Reply #2 on: 2016-10-26 00:45:14 »
This season's really good with niche audiences but is looking stark for the general audience since there's no RE:Zero/OPM this season. But I'm with that niche category so this season's a goldmine so far! Not caught up with Natsume's Book of Friends otherwise that would probably be one of the show's I'd be most looking forward to every week.

Hibike! Euphonium 2
Easily my favorite show this season so far. It's so effortlessly beautiful in both substance and execution that it's difficult not to get swept up by it every week. I find the discourse surrounding yuri-baiting to be pretty amusing actually so it's good to see that Kyoani's at full throttle this season.

Yuri On Ice!
Instead of drama that's understated and subtle like Euphonium, Yuri on Ice is one of the (equally as valuable) restless and sweeping dramas. The writing is sharp, the production is great, and the entire show just oozes with the kinds of emotions that comes with competitive sports. And that opening

Sangatsu no Lion
I'm a pretty big sucker for shows that can capture the warm, communal feelings of family with relatable characters so I really like this one. Shaft is outdoing itself with the direction and production as usual which really elevates the show emotionally.

Haikyuu Season 3
This season's only focused on the actual match side of the show, which can be good or bad. So far it's been solid in giving all the characters we love their own moments but I'm waiting to see the kind of intensity that made me love the first season.

Girlish Number
This is definitely a Watari show. Plenty of snark with grounded character interactions and plenty of laughs all around. GAHAHA. I don't care too much about the industry side of things, I'm more interested in seeing how these relationships and personalities unfold.

Keijo!
Sure, this is probably isn't the highest form of art that's come out of anime. But it plays to our shounen sensibilities by including all the corny "nakama power" and shouting out your move names that we love; and it does this by being a ridiculous shounen sports show played completely straight.