Author Topic: Summer 2016 Anime Season - Discussion Thread  (Read 232 times)

Offline tormaid

• President
  • Officers
  • Can't into math
  • Power level: 132
  • Internets: 3
  • Unlimited Backlog Works
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
Summer 2016 Anime Season - Discussion Thread
« on: 2016-07-01 22:00:29 »
Alright, people: you know what time it is! It's time to bathe in the sea of mediocrity that is the modern anime scene. What do you plan on following now that you all the time in the world to waste, and why? Usual rules apply: no plot spoilers!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: 2016-07-01 22:15:43 by tormaid »

Offline tormaid

• President
  • Officers
  • Can't into math
  • Power level: 132
  • Internets: 3
  • Unlimited Backlog Works
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
Re: Summer 2016 Anime Season - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: 2016-07-12 20:51:47 »
Alright, here we go. I'm trying a different layout this time, don't feel obliged to imitate it.

Haruhi Tier:
  • Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - Episodes 13 and 15 demonstrated a quality of direction, acting, and writing that puts this gem in a category unto itself, and it has only gone up from there. Fucking AOTY.

Good Tier:
  • Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume - I'm not sure how the ONA series will differ from the movie version, but the first episode puts on a strong showing.
  • Rewrite - What can I say? I'm a Key fag, and this show hits all the right notes. Currently playing the VN, too.
  • Mob Psycho 100 - Mini, psychic Saitama kicks ass, and the animation is to die for.
  • Amaama to Inazuma - Adorable, heart-warming, and beautifully animated.
  • New Game! - Update: This is Shirobako, only better. Yeah, that's right, I said it.
  • Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! - Genuinely hilarious.

OK Tier:
  • ReLife - A fun, if un-original high school romcom. All 13 episodes were released at once, and I've already finished it, if that says anything. 7/10.
  • Kuromukuro - This show continues to be enjoyable, despite being somewhat formulaic.
  • Taboo Tattoo - If you can live with it being edgy for the sake of being edgy, this show delivers rad fight scenes and tight pacing.

Shit Tier:
  • Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin - Other than the 19th-century fantasy wartime setting, this show is pretty stupid. Not dropped yet, though. Edit: I still haven't gotten around to watching the second episode, so dropped, I guess.
  • Berserk (2016) - Easily the most disappointing series this season. Not only is the CGI a crime against humanity, everything from the pacing to the music manages to be worse than the 1997 adaptation. Dropped
  • Amanchu! - Borring, and not nearly as gay as the OP would have you believe. Dropped
« Last Edit: 2016-08-14 09:42:09 by tormaid »

Offline ginsan

• Director of Showings
  • Power level: 6
  • Internets: 1
  • チーズむしパンになりたい。
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-07-12 21:35:26 »
Re:Zero: magical and fantastic.
amaama to inazuma: forbidden relationship between teacher and student.
handa kun: barakamon was great, this is about the MC when he was in high school
mob psycho 100: from OPM creator, you have OPKid
Nanatsu no Taizai: because Diana best girl.
ReLife: Story of my life.
Shokugeki no souma: second season.
Tales of Zestiria: game turned anime, seems interesting.

Offline Frankevangelion

• Power level: 15
  • Internets: 1
  • Pashupata!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-07-14 00:12:46 »
Not watching too many this season:

1. Oregairu OVA - Haven't seen it yet, but I know it's good. It better be.
2. Shokugeki no Soma: Ni no Sara - This one's a bit of a personal choice. Shokugeki doesn't exactly have awe-inspiring cinematography or a unique story, but it's one of my favorite manga and with the same (if not slightly better) quality of animation and soundtrack,  it's enough to merit a high place on my list.
3. Re:Zero - Though at one point last season it got a bit too slow for me, the recent episodes have definitely picked up in quality.
4. Amaama to Inazuma - When I read the manga, the first chapter made me melt in good feels. The anime adaptation doesn't disappoint.
5. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!! - I-i'm not a lolicon, I swear. I'm only here for the best Shirou iteration to date.
6. Berserk - The CG is horrible. At some points you can tell they try, but it still doesn't keep it from being horrible. However, my affinity for Berserk alone is what compels me to give  it an 'okay' rating.
7. Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! - Despite its lower place on the rankings, by no means is this a bad anime. It's a very fun slice of life about an art club, a serious girl, and a guy who likes to draw 2-D waifus. This was another series that I had experienced in manga form first, but it's been a  joy to see the  characters come to life in the anime.
8. Masou Gakuen HxH Wait, this isn't the new season of Infinite Stratos? Dropped.

Offline 13thMuse

• Getting on up there
  • Power level: 64
  • Internets: 6
  • Everybody loves me on the Internet!
    • 13thMuse
    • Graceling13
    • View Profile
    • My translation blog
« Reply #4 on: 2016-09-18 20:24:17 »
I've only seen a few anime this season:

Re:ZERO: saving anime while slowly killing your soul. Subaru is trash (confirmed by the scriptwriters) and Rem is better than him.

Amaama to Inazuma: I used it to heal my soul after watching episode 15 of Re:ZERO. I love it but I'm wary because I was burned by Bunny Drop before.

Mob Psycho 100: it's like One Punch Man except when it really isn't. There are a lot more feels than I expected. Also FYI, the internet thinks Reigen "Sweat Man" Arataka is sexy.

I'm getting ready to watch New Game and Konobi, but I haven't yet. ^^;