CAINE Forums

Author Topic: Spring 2016 Anime Season - Discussion Thread  (Read 417 times)

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
  • Hundreds of fifties of pounds
  • Power level: 173
  • Internets: 4
  • Unlimited Backlog Works
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
Spring 2016 Anime Season - Discussion Thread
« on: 2016-04-02 17:15:22 »
Here we go again! What are you watching and why? For those of you living under a rock, you can reference Anichart to see what's on and when.

Rules: No plot spoilers!

I'm definitely hype for Koutetsujou no Kabaneri and Kuromukuro, but what about you guys?

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: 2016-04-02 17:20:41 by tormaid »

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
Re: Spring 2016 Anime Season - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: 2016-04-09 23:07:56 »
This list will update as I watch stuff. Since I don't rate stuff on MAL until I finish it, I'll try to keep these in order of how much I enjoy them week to week.
  • Koutetsujou - Because fucking steampunk, man.
  • Re: Zero - Solid entry into an otherwise drab sub-genre.
  • Sakamoto desu ga? - Fucking comedic gold.
  • Kuromukuro - Solid new mecha IP.
  • Haifuri - What Kancolle should have been.
  • Kiznaiver - Pretentious anti-fungal, just the way I like it.
  • Joker Game - Good setup, but I'm witholding judgement.
  • Flying Witch - Cute and funny.
  • Kuma Miko - Cuter, but not as funny.
  • Mayoiga - Goofy, over-the-top horror/mystery. Guilty pleasure for me.
  • Netoge no Yome - Funny setup, but the harem shit is already getting to me.
  • Big Order - Terrible. Will continue watching because I hate myself.
  • Boku no Hero - 2 shounen 5 me.
  • Bungou Stray Dogs - Super borring.
  • Macross Delta - #notmymacross
  • Ace Attorney - Not my cup of tea.
« Last Edit: 2016-04-17 21:33:22 by tormaid »

Offline Sakamoto

• Power level: 5
  • Internets: 1
  • I forgot to put something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-04-09 23:22:59 »
The ones which I think I will start watching are:

Kiznaiver--art style closest to Kill La Kill since they made that show, looks like it could be interesting, very Trigger, interesting so far

Re: Zero-- has the potential to be a dark fantasy version of Groundhog Day or All You Need is Kill... yep, that is exactly what it is, also, the opening title sequence used in the second episode is one of the best I've seen in a while (esp. the very first scene of it), I highly recommend

Koutetsujou no Kabaneri (Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress)--supposedly Shingeki but better, have not seen yet awesome, it is like Shingeki but without the flaws, also weapons are actually quite possible even in real life; I can't recommend this enough

Sakamoto desu ga?-- supposed to funny, haven't seen yet humorous, i will check in on it

Mayoiga (The Lost Village)--possibility of it becoming a battle royale with violently unhinged characters sounds good......I can now say that after the  first 3 episodes I am suree that this is going to be an insane and entertaining bloodbath, also, my Haruhi is this a diverse collection of deeply mentally disturbed individuals,
(click to show/hide)

Big Order--same mangaka who did Mirai Nikki, (one of my favorites) so i am definitely interested, still need to see
« Last Edit: 2016-04-19 03:10:06 by Sakamoto »

Offline Frankevangelion

• President
  • Officers
  • Power level: 16
  • Pashupata!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-04-10 02:11:02 »
Thus far,

I can't really say that the ranks I give the series I've watched so far are definitive since many of them use the first episode mainly as buildup, but here's how I'm ranking them tentatively anyway:

1. Re: Zero
2. Sakamoto desu ga?
3. Kuromukuro
4. Flying Witch
5. Joker Game
6. Boku no Hero Academia
7. Netoge
8. Ace Attorney

Re: Zero doesn't have a very original premise, but nevertheless it had me interested. This might also have been due to the fact that it was an hour long first episode. Sakamoto is the coolest. I give it a high rank for the potential that is to come. Mechs and Samurai definitely gave Kuromukuro a nice opening premise, so I'm curious to see more for that. Ace Attorney was solid, but I don't really see why it has to exist in this medium.

Still planning to watch:

-Kiznaiver
-Kuma Miko
-Kabaneri
-Mayoiga
-Unhappy♪ (maybe)
-Hundred (maybe)
-Super Lovers

Offline Frankevangelion

• President
  • Officers
  • Power level: 16
  • Pashupata!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-04-13 02:36:15 »
Alright, update time.

1. Re: Zero
2. Sakamoto desu ga?
3. Koutetsujou
4. Kuromukuro
5. Flying Witch
6. Joker Game
7. Boku no Hero Academia
8. Kiznaiver
9. Netoge
10. Ace Attorney
11. Hundred

Koutetsujou was interesting. The steampunk setting was nice and intriguing characters were introduced so I have high hopes for it. Kiznaiver's OP was kickass (sounds way too much like "Take on me", though) but other than that, I still have yet to see anything that has particularly hooked me. Hundred was trash, but it's trash with nice animation so I'll be sticking around...maybe.

Joker Game's ranking hasn't really changed, but I feel that it can rank higher if the later spy escapades are good. There was a bit too much hand holding in episode 2, though. I really didn't think there needed to be flashes back to a flashback that occurred 1.) in the same episode and 2.) literally only a few minutes prior. Especially if what is being revealed is honestly something that most viewers could have surmised anyway.

So with these three new additions, I think my spring viewing list is pretty locked in. I'll probably still get around to watching Kuma Miko and some of the other ones, but certainly not on a consistent basis.

Offline Sir_Aknight

• Power level: 7
  • Internets: 0
  • Inferno Cop is best grill.
    • Sir_Aknight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-04-19 14:51:58 »
Now that we're a little farther into the spring season I suppose I'll post what I'm watching as well.

1) Jojo Diamond is Fabulous
2) Space Patrol Luluco
3) Attack on Trains
4) Re:Zero
5) Flying Witch
6) Bungou Stray Dogs
7) Kiznaiver
8) Boku no Hero Academia
9) Sakamoto Desu ga?

I'm decently happy with this list, and I probably won't add anything else to it unless it really stands out (such as if the Lost Village has a decent payoff at the end or something). So far the things that have really surprised me in a good way are Luluco, Attack on Trains, and Flying Witch, with all of the others being good, but exactly what I suspected they would be. I'm enjoying Flying Witch in particular, though I can't really pin down exactly why besides the fact that its not shit tier moe. What are everyone else's thoughts on it?

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #6 on: 2016-04-19 15:19:25 »
I've also been enjoying Flying Witch. I guess what I enjoy most is how down-to-earth it is, despite its fantastic elements. Makoto remarks on how riding a broom is actually really uncomfortable, for example. I also couldn't stop laughing at the mandrake scene. That was gold.

I defiantly want to check out Luluco.