Author Topic: Live-Action Anime Movies  (Read 229 times)

Offline Akibastranger

• Power level: 12
  • Internets: 1
  • Mashu Potato
    • @akibastranger
    • View Profile
    • Red Comet Reviews
Live-Action Anime Movies
« on: 2016-01-22 16:01:28 »
I don't know about you guys, but I get a kick out of seeing the Japanese movie industry take on anime. The results are usually pretty terrible, but in that charming, B-movie kind of way that - for me, at least - never really gets old.

Since the audience for these films in the English-speaking otaku community is a niche within a niche, I thought it might be nice to have a thread to catalogue, share, and discuss what's out there.

For my part, these are the live-action anime films I've seen:

- Initial D
- Wangan Midnight
- Casshern
- Space Battleship Yamato
- Rurouni Kenshin (Part 1)

These are ones I know about and want to see:

- Mobile Suit Gundam: G-Saviour
- Gatchaman
- Attack on Titan (Part 1)
- Cutie Honey

I own Space Battleship Yamato on Blu-Ray (it actually got an official EN-subtitled release!!) and I'd be happy to show it off anytime. But first - are there any other fans of this stuff out there? What does everyone think about it?

Offline 13thMuse

• Getting on up there
  • Power level: 64
  • Internets: 6
  • Everybody loves me on the Internet!
    • 13thMuse
    • Graceling13
    • View Profile
    • My translation blog
Re: Live-Action Anime Movies
« Reply #1 on: 2016-09-07 01:38:34 »
I haven't seen many live-action Japanese movies until now, but I saw several new ones in Japan this summer. They were in Japanese with no subtitles, so I probably only understood about half of the content ^^; Still, the visuals speak for themselves, and I'll note down my thoughts about what I did understand.

- Chihayafuru 1 & 2: a must-see, especially if you liked the manga or anime.The story lends itself well to live-action, and they pulled off some nice effects to make the karuta games more visually interesting, with more subtlety than the anime I think. The atmosphere was great, too. But be warned; there is 100% of the crying that's in the original story.
- Orange: an interesting magical realism/drama, with a heavy psychological leaning. I haven't actually seen the anime for this, so I can't compare it, but it could come off as cheesy or over-the-top in a way that it might not be as an anime. The story was pretty emotionally intense for me though. And again, so much crying.

Bonus--Shin-Gojira: it's basically Evangelion, the Godzilla version. There's a heavy focus on global politics and psychology, so I didn't understand very much, but the visuals were really striking. I'm looking forward to seeing it in English later this year.

I always expect anime adaptations to be terrible, but all of these were surprisingly good. When they have a high budget and low expectations for special effects, I think Japanese live-action movies really hold their own.

Offline tormaid

• President
  • Officers
  • Can't into math
  • Power level: 133
  • Internets: 3
  • Unlimited Backlog Works
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #2 on: 2016-12-28 15:16:57 »
I just wanted to add that I'm hype anti-fungal fucking hype (damnit, XT) for the live-action adaptation of Hyouka, the first novel in the Kotenbu series next year. More info here (Japanese).
« Last Edit: 2017-01-09 01:14:30 by tormaid »

Offline 13thMuse

• Getting on up there
  • Power level: 64
  • Internets: 6
  • Everybody loves me on the Internet!
    • 13thMuse
    • Graceling13
    • View Profile
    • My translation blog
« Reply #3 on: 2017-04-03 02:40:29 »
I just wanted to add that I'm hype anti-fungal fucking hype (damnit, XT) for the live-action adaptation of Hyouka, the first novel in the Kotenbu series next year. More info here (Japanese).

I'm pretty excited for that, too; aside from a few fantasy scenes there isn't really any need for special effects, and the character interactions might come through more strongly in some areas with real people. My only concern is if they cast pretty people who can't actually act... >.> I feel like it really matters that the characters' inner thoughts and motivations get conveyed to the viewer in this story.