Author Topic: Translation stuff  (Read 382 times)

Offline 13thMuse

• Getting on up there
  • Power level: 64
  • Internets: 6
  • Everybody loves me on the Internet!
    • 13thMuse
    • Graceling13
    • View Profile
    • My translation blog
Translation stuff
« on: 2016-01-18 02:10:41 »
It's sad that this section has no posts yet, so I wanted to talk about my new hobby; translating from Japanese to English (cause I'm a huge nerd :P ). I'm working on the Kyoukai no Kanata and Hyouka light novels right now, but I occasionally do songs and I want to try a drama CD. I'm not the best at it or anything--there are a lot of online dictionaries involved--but I've been studying Japanese for 4 years now and I have to practice somehow.

Does anyone else do this? Is there something you desperately want translated? Let's talk about it here~

Offline tormaid

• President
  • Officers
  • Can't into math
  • Power level: 133
  • Internets: 3
  • Unlimited Backlog Works
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
Re: Translation stuff
« Reply #1 on: 2016-01-18 04:03:28 »
I very much support this idea. My interest is mostly in anime translation, but I've started getting into manga as well. If you need technical advice on stuff like typesetting manga or subtitling software, hit me up~

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: 2016-01-18 04:05:02 by tormaid »

Offline 13thMuse

• Getting on up there
    • 13thMuse
    • Graceling13
    • View Profile
    • My translation blog
« Reply #2 on: 2016-01-20 21:36:48 »
I got a request on my blog to translate the series Boukyaku Tantei by Nisio Isin (the first book is Okitegami Kyouko no Bibouroku). I don't think I can take on another book series right now, but I wanted to mention it here--it seems like Kyoukai no Kanata mixed with Hyouka, by the creator of Monogatari. I'm looking forward to the drama now.

Offline GentlemanDefiant

• CAINE Historian
  • Officers
  • Drunk
  • Power level: 21
  • Internets: 1
  • CAINE Historian, soon to be ex-Historian.
    • corruptedgentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-01-27 20:05:09 »
Are you ready to Duwang Sub JoJo part 4 yet?

Offline tormaid

• President
  • Officers
  • Can't into math
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #4 on: 2016-01-28 13:31:58 »
Are you ready to Duwang Sub JoJo part 4 yet?

My body is so ready.

Offline tormaid

• President
  • Officers
  • Can't into math
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #5 on: 2016-03-08 01:53:27 »
Here's a translation of the Bokumachi ED I did for fun. This is a really cool song, but it's pretty morbid. I might do the whole thing at some point, but I'll leave this here for now.

Edit: I had to upload the video to the server directly because fucking YouTube doesn't believe in fair use.

Some thoughts on this translation:
  • I omitted "kanata e" from "So you waited for me," which I honestly wasn't sure about the meaning of, but it seemed superfluous. Perhaps that was a mistake.
  • I also omitted "ichiban" ("most," or in this case "deepest")  from "like a deep wound" because it really is superfluous and hurt the flow of the line, IMO
  • I took the liberty of tying together "your laughter" with "sekai no uta" (lit: the song of the world, which I liberally translated as "this world's anthem") because their proximity and the structure of the lines suggested to me that they are part of the same sentence

Translating songs, if you've never tried it, is a largely interpretive process. Much, much more so than conversation. Normal grammar is thrown out the window, so you have to connect words and phrases in a manner that "feels right," but still makes sense.

What do you guys think, though? Would you have done anything different here? Do you have any interesting experiences translating Japanese songs?
« Last Edit: 2016-03-09 00:56:28 by tormaid »

Offline tormaid

• President
  • Officers
  • Can't into math
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #6 on: 2016-09-05 13:33:44 »
Saw this on MAL:

A manga translation contest with prizes, including a grand prize of a plane ticket to Japan! Submission is free, and the deadline isn't until February of next year.

Offline tormaid

• President
  • Officers
  • Can't into math
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #7 on: 2017-02-03 13:19:02 »
Saw this on MAL:

A manga translation contest with prizes, including a grand prize of a plane ticket to Japan! Submission is free, and the deadline isn't until February of next year.

Well, my submission for Zutto Dokushin de iru Tumori? didn't even make the finalists, which is a little frustrating, as some of those finalist submissions were pretty bad. I do strongly recommend reading the winner's entry, and especially the comments by the panelists, if you are at all interested in translation, as they really show the level of nuance expected out of a professional translation. If you are interested, I have also attached my own submission bellow. You can still view the raw manga for free at the link above, if you want to see the original Japanese lines.

Offline 13thMuse

• Getting on up there
    • 13thMuse
    • Graceling13
    • View Profile
    • My translation blog
« Reply #8 on: 2017-02-06 02:50:47 »
Thanks for adding that; I am really interested in seeing what they're looking for in professional-level translations. I see a lot of mistakes or things that are difficult to understand in published work, so it makes it seem like the bar isn't set very high for quality, but I guess their priorities are on things like accurately conveying nuance and less on feeling natural.