CAINE Forums

Author Topic: Bokumachi Theories and Discussion (SPOILERS!)  (Read 832 times)

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
  • Hundreds of fifties of pounds
  • Power level: 160
  • Internets: 4
  • Unlimited Backlog Works
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
Bokumachi Theories and Discussion (SPOILERS!)
« on: 2016-01-18 01:17:08 »
[ Invalid Attachment ]

So, I wanted a place where we could discuss this show as it airs, since I already have a lot to talk about after only watching the first two episodes.

Rules: You don't need to use spoiler tags! (The trade off is that you must be caught up before checking the thread, though)

Also, no manga spoilers! If you read the manga, this thread isn't for you~!

Offline 13thMuse

• Rocks out at Cook Out
  • Power level: 77
  • Internets: 7
  • Everybody loves me on the Internet!
    • 13thMuse
    • Graceling13
    • View Profile
    • My translation blog
Re: Bokumachi Theories and Discussion (SPOILERS!)
« Reply #1 on: 2016-01-18 01:27:12 »
This is a really good idea

It reminds me a lot of the TV drama "Mother," since those are the only shows I've seen deal with child abuse and abduction. (If you've taken JAPN 2000 then you've definitely seen it.) It seems like not many people do anything about child abuse there, since they're too polite too push the issue :/

I know there's definitely something going on with several characters (like his blonde friend, and Airi) but I don't have enough info to make any theories yet >.<

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #2 on: 2016-01-18 01:45:50 »
So, to get this started, I want to throw out a theory I've been developing based on some pretty blatant hint-dropping the show is doing that suggests Katagiri and Hinazuki are related—probably sisters. Their eyes and hair color match perfectly (see the red puffiness around them), and their voices actually sound quite similar (to me, anyway). If they are sisters, then Katagiri would have had to have been not yet born in 1988 (assuming she is ~17 in 2006). It is also explained at one point that Hinazuki lives alone with her mother, which means that Katagiri could not have been born yet.

So, let's say they are sisters, and that Katagiri has not been born yet. It is also unusual, to say the least, for someone to have kids 10+ years apart. My theory is that Hinazuki's death prompts her mother to have another child—Katagiri—and that Fujinuma will be forced to choose between saving Hinazuki, which could prevent Katagiri from ever being born, or not doing so knowing that she will be. This is the kind of thing I would expect out of a normal time travel show, but Bokumachi has already shown us that it is anything but normal, so I'm not that confident in this theory myself, but what do you all think?

Offline Frankevangelion

• President
  • Officers
  • Power level: 16
  • Internets: 1
  • Pashupata!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-01-22 02:55:30 »
It might be important to note that the author of the manga's art style is very distinctive, and as a result, there are a set amount of eye templates that he goes to in order to draw his characters. I do like this theory though, in fact, later on there—yeah,  I'm just going to stop myself now

Offline 13thMuse

• Rocks out at Cook Out
    • 13thMuse
    • Graceling13
    • View Profile
    • My translation blog
« Reply #4 on: 2016-01-25 00:09:49 »
One thing that my sister noticed in the most recent episode is that in the newspaper, his female friend with the blunt hair is listed as one of the victims, as well as one girl from the ending we haven't met yet. If he does manage to save Kayo--and I'm not sure if he will--what happens to them? Also, does his power stem from his guilt about not saving Kayo? If he DOES save her, does something happen to his powers? And what was with that creepy scene with his friend and his teacher?! Aah, this episode left me with more questions than answers!

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #5 on: 2016-01-28 18:49:11 »
So, after watching episodes 3 & 4, I can say that my previous theory has way too many issues. What I think now is that Kayo's death has to be related to her home situation: I suspect that her mother accidentally kills her during one of her regular beatings, and her mother, or her g­irlfriend (pimp?) kidnaps and kills two other girls her age in order to cover it up. This theory is based on the following new information:

• Kayo is confirmed as the first victim explicitly (ep.4)
  • Kayo disappears (?) from home in this timeline. In fact, there is no evidence that she disappeared directly from the park at all, and in the flashback scene in ep.4 depicting the empty park, Kayo's footprints are the only ones there, meaning she could very well have just left for home on her own.
  • Kayo's mother is under increasing pressure to divert suspicion of her abuse of Kayo (ep.4)
  • Kayo's mother is under increasing stress—as evidenced by her haggard appearance and late-night excursions (ep.4). Stress we know she likes to "relieve" on Kayo.

However, several scenes in episode four gave me pause (you'll notice a trend, here—episode three was immensely dissatisfying in terms of providing clues). These included the focus on their homeroom teacher and his classmate, Kenya. No concrete information has been given on Kenya, although it is worth noting that (though unlikely, I think), he too must be considered a suspect. The homeroom teacher, however, has always bothered me. He is described by various characters as being perceptive and (perhaps most significantly) popular among the girls of the class (note: all three victims are girls, which is confirmed in ep.3). His appearance also most-closely resembles that of the killer in episode one. However, I cannot imagine how he could have kidnaped Kayo from her home. We do know that her mother is out late often, and it looks as though she was out, or asleep when Kayo got home on the night of the 1st. However, I don't see how he could have known this unless he was stalking the kids after school, which is unlikely as we frequently see him still at school late grading homework. I might rewatch the last few episodes for all the scenes with him in them again at some point this week...

What do you guys think, though? Who do you most suspect? Do you think there was more to MC's deja-vu than just that he had seen Kayo in the museum before? And how does Kayo know he wants to make manga? So far we have no evidence that he draws or anything at this age. Is Kayo a time-traveler too?! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!1
« Last Edit: 2016-01-29 21:56:22 by tormaid »

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #6 on: 2016-01-30 13:50:07 »
OK, so I developed  a new working theory while talking to some people yesterday to explain the "how does Kayo know Satoru wants to be a mangaka" question. I think she looked up Satoru in the class essay anthology, just like he looked up her. It is even explicitly stated that Satoru forgets what he wrote in the anthology, so whether I'm correct or not, I'm certain that it will be re-visited later.

Offline Frankevangelion

• President
  • Officers
  • Pashupata!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2016-02-02 22:06:32 »
Might as well add here that the manga is confirmed to be ending soon. While I wish A-1 would do with Bokumachi what it did with Shigatsu wa kimi no uso (start the anime when the manga has nearly ended in order to adapt the entire thing) I feel like 12 episodes just isn't enough to adapt the entire thing. I'm still sticking with my guess that A-1 will stop at the specific point in the  manga where there's a defined ending to an arc. Anyways, this week's episode might shed some light on how A-1 will plan to go about adapting this...thing's happen!

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #8 on: 2016-02-02 22:56:20 »
Well, I hope A-1 chooses to finish it, then! Floating half a seriese before deciding to continue it seems to be in right now, so it's very possible. Hell, A-1 just did that with Gate. I'm strongly considering buying the BDs to encourage that, as it looks like they're selling this in two box sets for $150 each—that's a steal! :P

Edit: Since episode 5 raised a whole bunch more questions than it answered, I'm going to hold off until this Thursday before speculating further.
« Last Edit: 2016-02-08 03:03:21 by tormaid »

Offline Frankevangelion

• President
  • Officers
  • Pashupata!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2016-02-21 15:15:43 »
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-01-08/erased-boku-dake-ga-inai-machi-anime-to-portray-ending-of-original-manga/.97329

Well this is certainly interesting. Don't know how this managed to slip under my radar considering it was posted Jan 8th, but it seems that the ending of the manga will be portrayed in the anime. Considering the five episodes left, I feel like they may be able to cram it in, but at the cost of the pacing. Either that, or they make some changes but have it end in the same way.

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #10 on: 2016-02-22 11:43:45 »
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-01-08/erased-boku-dake-ga-inai-machi-anime-to-portray-ending-of-original-manga/.97329

Well this is certainly interesting. Don't know how this managed to slip under my radar considering it was posted Jan 8th, but it seems that the ending of the manga will be portrayed in the anime. Considering the five episodes left, I feel like they may be able to cram it in, but at the cost of the pacing. Either that, or they make some changes but have it end in the same way.

;__;

Offline 13thMuse

• Rocks out at Cook Out
    • 13thMuse
    • Graceling13
    • View Profile
    • My translation blog
« Reply #11 on: 2016-03-04 02:26:06 »
Snow on March 3, Hina Matsuri; that reminds me of the winter of the winter of 1988...

Just wanted to make sure everyone thought about that today :P

Offline Frankevangelion

• President
  • Officers
  • Pashupata!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2016-03-04 16:35:36 »
http://myanimelist.net/news/45016495

Well, now that the manga is done, guess it's time to milk that cow until it's dry

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
« Reply #13 on: 2016-03-08 01:38:47 »
>__>

I guess I'll have :opinions: on that once I finish the series. Right now, I have no idea what a spinoff would possibly look like.