Author Topic: AOTY: A Look Back  (Read 217 times)

Offline tormaid

• 就職浪人
  • Administrator
  • Hundreds of fifties of pounds
  • Internets: 4
  • Unlimited Backlog Works
    • tormaid
    • tormaid2552
    • @tormaid
    • View Profile
    • encodan.info
AOTY: A Look Back
« on: 2017-04-27 10:42:18 »
So, there is this thing going around that finally made it to anime twitter the other day when Miles from Crunchyroll posted this:

A few of us in Facebook chat got into it and posted our own lists, but I wanted to make a single spot to do that where everybody can see them, so I made this thread. So, with that, here is my list:

2012: Shinsekai Yori
2013: Nagi no Asukara
2014: Fate/Stay Night UBW
2015: Hibike! Euphonium
2016: Re:Zero
2017: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

There is no reason you can't go back further than five years, either, or include movies, so get creative with it!
« Last Edit: 2017-04-27 10:59:59 by tormaid »

Offline avartarlion

• Treasurer
  • Officers
  • Internets: 1
  • I forgot to put something here.
    • Sensei Zhang
    • View Profile
Re: AOTY: A Look Back
« Reply #1 on: 2017-04-27 11:39:10 »
The further back we go I regress in the amount of stuff I've watched but here's mine:

2012: Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
2013: Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio
2014: Amagi Brilliant Park
2015: Death Parade
2016: Re: Zero
2017: Youjo Senki

and I will point out that for some of these there were multiple ones I wanted to put but ultimately went with the ones that I felt left the bigger impression on me

Offline bwbScram

• Officers
  • Rocks out at Cook Out
  • Internets: 3
    • bwbScram
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-07-12 03:11:58 »
Back in the day, Animage Magazine's Anime Grand Prix was the go-to when it came to discussing what series was AOTY. It goes pretty far back (as in, the first recipient of the award was Gundam 0079).

Anyway, I'm gonna try to go back a few decades. As a rule, I will limit a series to one year (i.e. Eva isn't AOTY for 1995 AND 1996, despite airing in both). I'm probably going to leave some of the more recent years open, as I haven't kept up with newer stuff that much. I'm also going to mention other noteworthy series, whether they are runner ups or were just interesting, etc...

2017 - pending
2016 - ???
2015 - ???
2014 - Ping Pong the Animation
          (also consider: Space Dandy)
2013 - Aku no Derp Faces
          (also consider: Jojo Pt. 1, Watamote, Silver Spoon, Kyousougiga, Shingeki)
2012 - Sakamichi no Apollon 
          (also consider: Space Battleship Yamato 2199)
2011 - Steins;Gate
          (also consider: Fate/Zero, Usagi Drop, Tiger and Bunny, Nichijou, Madoka, Mawaru Penguindrum)
          2011 was pretty good
2010 - The Tatami Galaxy
          (also consider: Katanagatari, Ika-Musume, Panty & Stocking)
2009 - Eden of the East
          (also consider: FMA: Brotherhood, Inuyasha finally fucking starts to wrap up)
2008 - Kaiba
          (also consider: Spice and Wolf, Golgo 13, Detroit Metal City)
2007 - Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
          (also consider: TTGL, Baccano!)
2006 - Welcome to the N.H.K.
          (also consider: Code Geass, Bartender, Haruhi, Death Note, Ergo Proxy, People Die If They Are Killed)
           Another really good year
2005 - Eureka Seven
           (also consider: Absolute Boy, Honey and Clover, "In the year 2049...", Pani Poni Dash!)
2004 - Samurai Champloo
           (also consider: Diebuster, Paranoia Agent, Gankutsuou, Zipang)
2003 - Kino no Tabi
           (also consider: Texhnolyze, Planetes, Last Exile, The Animatrix, Fullmetal Alchemist)
2002 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
           (also consider: Haibane Renmei, RahXephon, Azumanga Daioh, Princess Tutu)
2001 - ??? (Having a hard time with a series for this year)
           A great year for movies though (Millennium Actress, Cat Soup, Cowboy Bebop, Spirited Away)
2000 - Banner of the Stars
           (also consider: Boogiepop Phantom, FLCL)

Done for now, will do the 90s later today.
« Last Edit: 2017-07-15 02:28:12 by bwbScram »

Offline bwbScram

• Officers
  • Rocks out at Cook Out
    • bwbScram
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-07-13 02:06:30 »
Cont...

1999 - ∀ Gundam
           (also consider: Crest of the Stars, Great Teacher Onizuka, Excel Saga,   Now and Then, Here and There, Blue                  Gender)
1998 - Serial Experiments Lain
           (also consider: Cowboy Bebop, Cardcaptor Sakura, Outlaw Star, Initial D First Stage, Kare Kano, Trigun,
            Brain Powerd  ::) )
            the fact that Lain and Bebop alone are here makes 98 one of the best years for anime, period
1997 - Revolutionary Girl Utena
           (also consider: GaoGaiGar, Berserk)   
           End of Eva airs in theaters.
1996 - The Vision of Escaflowne
           (also consider: After War Gundam X, Gundam 08th MS Team, Martian Successor Nadesico, Ie Naki Ko Remi)
            Lots of mecha in 96.
1995 - Neon Genesis Evangelion
            (also consider: Gundam Wing, El Hazard, Fushigi Yugi, Slayers)
            Important to mention two movies, namely Ghost in the Shell and Memories.
1994 - fuck it, I'm calling G Gundam AOTY for 94
            (also consider: Brave Police J-Decker, Macross 7, Magic Knight Rayearth)
1993 - Irresponsible Captain Tylor
            (also consider: Victory Gundam)
1992 - Tekkaman Blade
            (also consider: Sailor Moon, Yu Yu Hakusho, Flanders no Inu, Boku no Patrasche)
1991 - ??? (give me some time on this one)
1990 - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
             Unless you're a fan of Samurai Pizza Cats, that's about it.

To be frank, the early 90's kind of sucked. G Gundam is fun and all, but AOTY? Mid to late 90s more than make up for it, though. 80's are up next.
« Last Edit: 2017-07-16 17:47:52 by bwbScram »

Offline bwbScram

• Officers
  • Rocks out at Cook Out
    • bwbScram
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2017-07-15 02:08:57 »
cont...

1989 - Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
           (also consider: Ranma 1/2, Dragonball Z, Patlabor TV series, The Guyver)
1988 - Legend of the Galactic Heroes
           (also consider: Akira, Grave of the Fireflies, Char's Counterattack, My Neighbor Totoro, Aim for the Top!,
           Ronin Warriors)
           1988 is right up there with 1998; Akira, Gunbuster, and 2 Ghibli films all would normally be
           AOTY, but they happen to be airing alongside LoTGH.
1987 - Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
           (also consider: Bubblegum Crisis, Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01, City Hunter, Kimagure Orange
            Road)
1986 - Maison Ikkoku
           (also consider: ZZ Gundam, Laputa, Saint Seiya, MD Geist  ::), Violence Jack  ::))
1985 - Angel's Egg
           (also consider: Zeta Gundam, Touch, Vampire Hunter D, Area 88, Dirty Pair, Megazone 23,
            Blue Comet SPT Layzner, Dancouga - Super Beast Machine God, Princess Sarah)
1984 - Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
           (also consider: Macross: Do You Remember Love? , Hokuto no Ken, Sherlock Hound,
            Giant Gorg, Dragonball)
1983 - Daicon IV
           (also consider: Barefoot Gen, Aura Battle Dunbine, Captain Tsubasa, Dallos)
           Call me a fanboy if you must, but Daicon IV is just so beautifully animated.
1982 - The Super Dimension Fortress Macross
           (also consider: Space Adventure Cobra, The Ideon: Be Invoked, Combat Mecha Xabungle)
1981 - Urusei Yatsura
           (also consider: Queen Millennia, Fang of the Sun Dougram)
1980 - Space Runway Ideon and not much else

The 80's saw a bunch of real robot shows thanks to Gundam. 83 had the first OVA in Mamoru Oshii's Dallos and the later half of the decade would feature several awesome OVAs that were more experimental in nature. Starting with Nausicaa and DYRL in 84, a number of movies with ever-increasing budgets debuted and culminated with Akira, which is still one of the best looking works of all time.

Next up is the 70s. inb4 lots of Super Robots
« Last Edit: 2017-07-16 17:52:17 by bwbScram »

Offline bwbScram

• Officers
  • Rocks out at Cook Out
    • bwbScram
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2017-07-16 19:43:29 »
cont...

1979 - Mobile Suit Gundam 0079
           (also consider: The Castle of Cagliostro, Anne of Green Gables, The Rose of Versailes)
1978 - Galaxy Express 999
           (also consider: Space Pirate Captain Harlock, Future Boy Conan)
           What is it with years ending in 8 being really good?
1977 - Invincible Super Man Zambot 3
           (Attack on Tomorrow, Jetter Mars, Nobody's Boy, Wakusei Robo Danguard Ace, Yatterman)
1976 - 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother
           (also consider: Chōdenji Robo Combattler V, Divine Demon-Dragon Gaiking, Candy Candy)
1975 - UFO Robo Grendizer
           (also consider: Flanders no Inu, Getter Robo G, Brave Raideen, La Seine no Hoshi, Tekkaman,
            Time Bokan, Steel Jeeg, IkkyÅ«-san)
1974 - Space Battleship Yamato
           (also consider: Chargeman Ken!  ::), Getter Robo, Great Maziner, Majokko Megu-chan)
1973 - Belladonna of Sadness
           (also consider: Aim for the Ace!, Casshan, Cutie Honey, Doraemon, Miracle Girl Limit-chan)
1972 - Mazinger Z
           (also consider: Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, Devilman, Astroganger, Triton of the Sea)
1971 - Lupin the Third
           (also consider: Wandering Sun, Marvelous Melmo)
1970 - Ashita no Joe
           (also consider: Tezuka's Cleopatra, the second entry of the Animerama trilogy  ::))

The 70s saw the establishment of several studios, such as Madhouse and Sunrise. Super Robo and space opera was often the genre of choice, but there is also the further establishment of slice-of-life, shoujo, and magical girl.

I think I will stop with the 60s next post.

Offline Z

• Drunk
  • Internets: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2017-12-12 01:28:11 »
2011: Gosick or Hanasaku Iroha
2012: Psycho-Pass or Chuunibyou S1
2013: Attack on Titan(It might be the first anime since the Death Note that even non-Otaku know about it if you consider FML as a 2003 anime), although my favorite are Hataraku Maou Sama and OreShura
2014: Silver Spoon or Shirobako
2015:Kyoukai no Rinne or I am
2016: Tawawa on Mondays( jk), Kuro Makuro or Schwarzesmarken
2017: Maid Dragon or Sakura Quest (Honorable mention to Houseki/Children of the Whale/Net-juu no susume)
2018: VIOLET EVERGARDEN

Offline Z

• Drunk
  • Internets: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2017-12-12 01:31:05 »
The further back we go I regress in the amount of stuff I've watched but here's mine:

2012: Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
2013: Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio
2014: Amagi Brilliant Park
2015: Death Parade
2016: Re: Zero
2017: Youjo Senki

and I will point out that for some of these there were multiple ones I wanted to put but ultimately went with the ones that I felt left the bigger impression on me

I am so glad Amagi is receiving the honor it deserves
As a Amagi love that even read the light novel, I am so mad that even Kyouani forgot about Amagi